The ongoing drought in the southwest, and the precipitous drop in water levels at lakes along the Colorado River, have been a topic of discussion for several years. Recent news stories detailed unprecendented plans for conservation of this precious desert resource.
The Washington Post, May 22, 2023. “The states along the Colorado River — a vital source of water and electricity for the American West — reached an agreement with the Biden administration to conserve an unprecedented amount of their water supply in exchange for $1.2 billion in federal funding, state and federal officials said Monday.”
As worrisome as this sounds, it is still possible to transform your home into a desert oais. The key is to develop an integrated plan for landscaping and swimming pool installation with assistance from the professionals at Baron Services in Bullhead City, Arizona.
The end result will be the saving of water, money, and energy. This can be accomplished while enhancing the beauty and functionality of your outdoor space. And as an added bonus you will increase the value of your property.
Here are a few steps to develop an integrated plan for landscaping and swimming pool installation in a desert drought:
- Working with Baron Services, assess your site and your budget. Before you start designing your landscape and pool, you need to evaluate your site conditions. Soil type, slope, sun exposure, drainage, and existing features are the foundation for your plans. We can create a budget for your project. And we can determine what permits or regulations are applicable.
- Next, choose your pool type and shape. Depending on your site and budget, you can choose from different types of pools, such as concrete, fiberglass, or vinyl-lined. You can also opt for different shapes, such as rectangular, oval, kidney, or freeform. Some factors to consider when choosing your pool type and shape are maintenance, durability, aesthetics, and space efficiency. Baron Services is your partner from design to maintenance.
- Select your pool features and accessories. To make your pool more attractive and enjoyable, you can add some features and accessories, such as waterfalls, fountains, jets, lights, heaters, covers, slides, or diving boards. However, keep in mind that some of these features may increase your water and energy consumption. So we can help you choose wisely.
- Next is the selection of pool decking and coping materials. The decking and coping are the materials that surround your pool and provide a transition from the pool to the rest of the landscape. You can choose from various materials, such as concrete, pavers, stone, tile, wood, or composite. Some factors to consider when choosing your decking and coping materials are durability, slip-resistance, heat-resistance, cost, and style.
- Now we can discuss pool landscaping. The landscaping around your pool can enhance its beauty and create a relaxing atmosphere. However, there is a need to be careful about what plants are selected and their placement. You should opt for drought-tolerant plants that can survive with minimal water and maintenance, such as succulents, cacti, grasses, or shrubs. You should also avoid plants that shed leaves or flowers that can clog your pool filter or create a mess on your deck.
- Incorporate other landscape elements. Besides plants, we can also add other landscape elements to complement your pool and create a cohesive design. For example, the addition of rocks, boulders, gravel, or sand will create a natural desert look. Pergolas, gazebos, fire pits, or outdoor kitchens will enhance functionality and create comfortable areas for entertaining or relaxing.
- Installation of an efficient irrigation system. To keep your plants healthy and reduce water usage, installation of an efficient irrigation system that delivers water only where it is needed and when it is needed is crucial. Drip irrigation or micro-sprinklers that deliver water directly to the roots of the plants and prevent evaporation or runoff are key components in this type of system. Timers or sensors that adjust the watering schedule according to the weather conditions increase effectiveness.
- Maintain your pool and landscape properly. To enjoy your pool and landscape for a long time, Baron’s scheduled maintainance program ensures it will be worry free. This includes the checking of pool water quality and chemistry and the making of adjustments as needed. We will also clean your pool filter and skimmer regularly and remove any debris or algae from your pool surface or walls. For your landscape, we prune your plants occasionally and remove any weeds or pests that may harm them.
By following these steps, together we can develop an integrated plan for landscaping and swimming pool installation even in a drought that will make your backyard a stunning oasis that is water-wise and eco-friendly.
Written by Jim Hinckley of Jim Hinckley’s America